Upcoming Events & Education
Third Thursday Happy Hours
August 21: What’s the worst pitch you’ve ever received?
Boston, Cleveland, Kansas City, New York, Washington D.C.
2014 Azbee Award Finalists
The winners of the national Azbee Awards of Excellence will be announced at the National Awards Ceremony on July 25 in Chicago, which will be held in conjunction with the 2014 National Conference. See who the finalists are.
Young Leaders Scholars
Congratulations to the following editors, who have won ASBPE 2014 Young Leaders Scholarships:
- Libby Hoppe (Collinson Media & Events, Georgia)
- Larrisa Newton (Journal Multimedia, Pennsylvania)
- Adrienne Wagner (Advanstar, Kansas City)
- Hallie Busta (Hanley Wood Media, Inc., Washington, D.C.)
- Sam Oches (Food News Media, Chapel Hill, N.C.)
As an ASBPE member, you will enjoy discounts to educational and networking events, free Webinar registrations until the early bird deadline, and a discount on entries to the Azbees awards competition. Join now or renew your membership to take advantage of these and other benefits. Membership is only $75 for full-time editors, writers and designers and $50 for freelancers.
7 ethics issues likely to raise your temperature
Infractions list includes undermining front cover integrity, added push for ad formats closely simulating editorial content, and slipshod fact-checking policies. Read more on our LinkedIn page. (Login required.)
Get advice from ASBPE’s new ethics newsletter.
The quarterly Ethics News Updates e-newsletter provides in-depth analysis of ethical trends and problems facing the B2B publishing industry.
Read Ethics News Updates now.
Ethics Advisory: Proactive marketing effort is editor’s best response when publisher seeks to increase ad/editorial swaps
Advertiser pressure for more editorial tie-ins continues to be the dominant ethical issue editors confront. A nervous publisher coping with ad sales slippage may attempt to trample editorial colleagues.
- Award-Winning Editor Finds Direction In Visual Storytelling By Jeff Gelski The strategy failed this time. Sarah Redohl typed up information for a law enforcement ...
- Meet The Publishers Who Ask Their Reporters To Write Native Ads Hat tip to Brian Carlson of CIO for sharing this Digiday piece. Jeff Dearth nails ...
- Why Businesses Will Always Need Writers And Editors By Larry Alton If you majored in writing or English in college and were told time ...
- Staying Valuable In A Changing Industry By Jeff Gelski Jim Lucy sometimes jokes that he considers himself a company – J.L. Enterprises – ...
- Last Chance To Enter The Tabbie Awards By Paul Heney You have one last chance to get out your 2013 issues and decide ...
- University of Arizona’s Nicole Thill Wins Student Writing Award Nicole Thill, a journalism major entering her senior year at the University ...
- Network with ASBPE Boston on Third Thursday July 17 Join Us July 17 in Cambridge for Third Thursday Happy Hour Have some ...
- Magazine Art Director – Suffolk University Magazine Art Director – Suffolk University We are seeking a seasoned ...
- Reporter – The Record (Stockton, CA) The Record in Stockton, Calif., has an immediate opening for ...
- Online Producer – Putman Media Online Producer – Putman Media Putman Media is looking for a ...