The ASBPE Foundation aims to set the educational standard for b2b editors in today’s exciting media environment.
For more information on donating to the ASBPE Foundation, please email ASBPE.
Foundation Mission Statement
The practice of business-to-business journalism is undergoing enormous change, driven in large part by the rapid rise of powerful new media platforms, including blogs, audio and video podcasts, audio and video Web presentations, webinars, virtual conferences, and social networking environments. Not only do these platforms require new skills on the part of editors, but they change how editors prepare and present content for their traditional print publications. Given their central role as trained and experienced communicators for their specialized audiences, b2b journalists must strive to stay at the center of the editorial process as content increasingly is developed for these new media platforms. Meanwhile, the country’s journalism schools have been slow to recognize the key role of b2b media as a major entry point for journalists, as well as a permanent career home for many.
Through its nationwide network of professional b2b publication editors, ASBPE is ideally suited to champion educational programs that serve the b2b editing profession, and to raise the profile of the b2b journalism specialty in the media world. No other organization in the United States today focuses exclusively on the professional development of b2b editors. Seeing this need, the board of ASBPE seeks to create through its ASBPE Foundation a platform for channeling contributions from b2b publishers, and others with a stake in the profession’s continuing excellence, into dedicated programs targeted exclusively at the education of b2b editors.
Role of B2B Editors
The work of business-to-business editors is vitally important to the evolution of knowledge in the public and private sectors. Every industry is served by an array of magazines, newsletters, newspapers, Web publications, videos, and audio programming whose only mission is to facilitate the free exchange of information among professionals.
As the knowledgeable and highly trained specialists who manage and create the content for these publications and electronic communications, business editors are the key to the continued free flow of news, best practices, and technical research within an industry. Indeed, business editors are the indispensable knowledge workers who help shape the environment in which businesses and nonprofit organizations operate. These knowledge workers combine expertise in their subject matter with their skills as writers and editors to tell the stories that professionals in an industry rely on to grow their own expertise.
Without b2b editors, companies and organizations would operate in a vacuum, hampered in their ability to grow due to inconsistent and insufficient flows of information among the professionals in their industry.
- The 13th Annual Stephen Barr Award for Feature Writing: Tom Wadsworth “INVENTIVENESS. INSIGHT. BALANCE. DEPTH. IMPACT” Tom Wadsworth, editor of Door + Access Systems newsmagazine, is the 2016 winner of ASBPE’s Stephen Barr Award for his Fall 2015 article “The Worst Garage ...
- ASBPE recognizes Roy J. Harris, Jr. with 2016 Lifetime Achievement Award ASBPE’s Lifetime Achievement Winner is a Journalist of the First Rank By Robert Freedman ASBPE President, 2003-2005 Anyone who looks at this year’s ASBPE award winners can’t help but note the quality of ...
- American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) to Relocate to Poynter Institute as Part of New Partnership Poynter to provide management of annual ASBPE awards, membership, events and more PETERSBURG, Fla. (Dec. 17, 2015) – The American Society of Business Publication Editors announced today it will relocate its ...
- The 12th Annual Stephen Barr Award for Feature Writing: Ann Marsh “Inventiveness. Insight. Balance. Depth. Impact” Ann Marsh, senior editor and West Coast bureau chief for Financial Planning, is the 2015 winner of ASBPE’s Stephen Barr Award for her May 2014 article ...
Read all ASBPE Foundation posts
Overland Park, KS 66210
Roy Harris, Jr.
Senior Vice President, Editorial
Broadband Communities Magazine
National Underwriter Life & Health
To create pathways for the continuing mastery of content delivery by b2b editors, the foundation takes a range of educational approaches. Among them:
- Sponsorship of special awards. The Stephen Barr Award, funded by the Foundation, is part of ASBPE’s Azbee Awards of Excellence program, designed to encourage journalism of the highest quality within b2b publications.
- On-site professional development seminars. Working with b2b publishers, both large and small, the Foundation helps design and host customized on-site training programs for working b2b editors.
- Online educational programs and webinars. For the continuing education and career development of b2b editors, the Foundation taps the expertise of top b2b editors in online professional development programs.
- Encouraging college b2b programs. The Foundation helps sponsor the ASBPE-AEJMC Student B2B Writing Award, begun in 2012. The winner for 2013 is Gin Sexsmith of Ryerson University.
- Leadership outreach. The Foundation has a program for funding travel by ASBPE leaders to journalism schools each year for b2b editing career presentations.