ASBPE Selects 2017 Young Leader Scholars

For more than a decade, ASBPE has recognized future leaders in the B2B press with the Young Leader Scholarship. This year, the scholarship covers a two-night hotel stay and the registration for five YLS winners  to attend ASPBE’s National Editorial Conference May 17-18 at the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla.

The judges selected the winners based on their résumés, clips, recommendation letters from their chief editors, and their essays on how they became involved in the business press, their biggest challenges as business-to-business editors, and their future career goals.

Scholarship winners must be 30 years old or younger, worked for at least two years as an editor at a business magazine or associated Web publication, be sponsored by their chief editor, and plan to continue in the business press as a career.

The winners of the 2017 scholarship are as follows:

provazza_alyssa-200Alyssa Provazza is senior managing editor for TechTarget’s End-User Computing Media Group, where she covers the enterprise IT industry. Alyssa helped spearhead the launch of the Modern Mobility online magazine, blog and podcast in 2015 and the new publication Access this year. A graduate of George Washington University in 2010, she has seven years of experience in the business technology press.

Megan_gates-200Megan Gates is an associate editor at Security Management magazine covering cybersecurity and legal issues while managing the magazine’s social media accounts. She holds a Bachelor’s of Science in Journalism with a minor in Film Studies from Missouri State University. During her time as an undergrad, she was the editor-in-chief of the university’s award-winning student newspaper, The Standard, and named the 2013 Missouri College Media Association’s Journalist of the Year. Megan’s work has also been published by Reuters, USA TODAY College, The Springfield Business Journal, The Cedar Rapids Gazette, and The Joplin Globe.

abarwacz-headshot-200Allison Barwacz holds a bachelor’s degree in magazine journalism from Ohio University’s E.W. Scripps School of Journalism with specializations in Spanish and English. She’s worked for North Coast Media since July 2014 and manages the websites, social media, enewsletters and more for two of the company’s primary brands and one of its ancillary brands. She travels throughout the United States attending trade shows, media events and networking shows for her brands.

Chase_Lindsay-200Lindsay Chase works as the Assistant Director of Central Editorial Production at TechTarget, based in Newton, Mass. She has been with TechTarget since graduating cum laude from Framingham State University in 2011 with a degree in English and a concentration in journalism. In her current role, Lindsay manages a team of production editors who copy edit and publish articles online for the editorial department. She also tackles troubleshooting the content management and help desk systems and coordinates trainings for new editorial hires.

Lilly_Chapa_200Lilly Chapa has been with Security Management since 2013 and has won national and regional awards for her Homeland Security column and feature articles. Lilly grew up in Flower Mound, Texas, and earned her Bachelor of Arts degree in journalism at The University of Oklahoma. While there, she also studied Latin American Studies and Spanish, and worked as a reporter and photojournalist for the student newspaper. Before coming to Security Management, she worked as the media director for a tutoring organization and interned at The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press.